NEW ETSY WEBSITE COMING SOON!! Now under construction!

June 5, 2011

Engagement Rings!


Just a couple of engagement rings I made for some super cool people. Made from reclaimed maple from an old elementary school that was being torn down, and a bit of scrap purple heart I had in the shop. I actually made 3 different pairs of rings, all from different materials just in case, since it was a sight unseen over the phone-type order. Congrats Dusty and Colt!



How it looked after I started playing around with different techniques on the stationary sander. It is WAY easier when you've got this much to hold onto. Kinda looks like some wooden version of brass knuckles...


A pile of ring blanks. Man, I can't believe I still all my fingers...
(see next post)

You might think that wearing gloves when working with tiny parts is a no-brainer. But let me assure 
you, you feel like you have less of a brain when you learn the hard way to wear gloves. Sanded 
one of my fingertips right off. (Don't worry, it grew back!)


This one didn't make it. I think it got wedged between the sander and the guide I was using. That's the 
only thing I can think of that would cause it to break across the 3 grain lines like that.


Handful of rings.


Here's the final selection I sent up to Dusty. On the left: purple heart/ maple sandwich. 
Center: all maple. On the right: solid rosewood. If you're doing the math, then congratulations my friend: you have keen powers of observation. I have a decent pile of ring blanks left over after this project, just in case I need to make some replacements.



2 comments:

  1. Wow Case! Those are awesome!
    Are they for your brother??? Nice job, they are beautiful and congrats to Dusty and Colt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. What a great friend, indeed.

    ReplyDelete