NEW ETSY WEBSITE COMING SOON!! Now under construction!

October 13, 2009

A cold day for finishing.

Woke up to temps in the low 20's this morning. Armed with a hot cup of coffee I ventured out into the shop to test the waters. Even with the heaters off overnight it was relatively warm out there. I say relatively, because it was probably still below 40 degrees when I started sanding at 8 in the morning.

 What the Jeep looked like at 10 in the morning when I headed out for more sandpaper. Needless to say, I was scraping ice for a while before I went anywhere.



 I made these little blocks for holding shelves while they're getting finish applied. They hold the piece up off the table so it doesn't get  dust in the finish. After finishing one side of the shelf, you flip it over and set the panel on the small tips. Because they come to a soft point, they leave only minimal marking on the wet finish. You can see them in use on the picture below.



I love the way the Danish oil finish makes the wood color "pop" like this. It's really important to sand the heck out of the panels with progressively finer grits, otherwise the finish will blotch up and look rather funky from uneven absorption. I used 220 grit to finish sand and ease all the sharp edges before oiling.

The cabinet is pretty much all done with the oil, so over the next few days while that's curing I'll work on milling the log accents and planing the top pine slab. I also realized I glued up the back panel before cutting holes for cords, so I'll have to retro fit the space for those too.

No comments:

Post a Comment