NEW ETSY WEBSITE COMING SOON!! Now under construction!

October 8, 2009

Post Marathon short work week

 
 This was a big week in the shop despite not being able to move after running the Portland Marathon. I got some more edge banding done to the shelves and front rail of the cabinet base. This picture is a close up of the edge banding on one of the shelves, just after starting to plane down the thickness.



And here's the same edge after hand planing and scraping. Take a close look at how fine the shavings come off with the scraper. Makes for a beautiful joint.


Reclaimed maple door jams that I'm going to mill up for face frame material.



Pulling off the rabbeted piece with a pry bar.



Gluing on the base of the cabinet.



A very nice slab of pine that I picked up from Brian Kennel Custom Milling today. He's got all kinds of slabs and dimensional wood in his storage area. Literally. We climbed around and over piles of different wood species for a while as he was showing me all the variety he has. Juniper, pine, fiddleback maple, spalted oak, spalted butternut, and my personal favorite, a 12x12 beam of Indonesian Teak, about 16 feet long. I regret not taking my camera with me!
And how does a guy without a pickup truck and a mounted rooftop cargo box get a slab like this home, you might be wondering?



You drive it. Yes, that's a 2" thick, 6 foot long slab of wood riding shotgun. Good thing I didn't have to cross traffic on the way home!

2 comments:

  1. That's some amazing wood! It's pretty rare to find large boards like those. Most everything now days is particle board crap made in China. I am very glad to see good local woodworking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nick! Glad to know there are people out there who still appriciate REAL woodwork as opposed to Chinese factory particle board JUNK!

    ReplyDelete